May 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM
The Westfield Area Y offers traditional, sports and specialty camps that give kids and teens an adventurous, active and healthy summer. YMCA camp programs offer youth fun and unique experiences with an opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.
Summer is the ideal time for kids to get up, get out and explore. However, for some kids summer means no access to recreational and educational activities to help them learn, grow and thrive during out-of-school time. As a result, some kids can experience learning loss and gain weight twice as fast than during the school year. Attending Westfield Area Y summer camp is a wonderful opportunity for kids to keep their minds and bodies active.
“YMCA summer camp supports the social-emotional, cognitive development and physical well-being of kids,” says Marty Collett, Westfield Area Y Youth, Teen & Camp Services Director.
“In our summer day camp, kids are in a welcoming environment where they can belong, build relationships, develop character and achieve while discovering their potential. We really encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp so that every child can benefit from the experience.”
Here are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
1. ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of fun adventures and new experiences, and especially exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Visit www.westfieldynj.org for details.
2. HEALTHY FUN: Day camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their eating habits.
3. PERSONAL GROWTH: While being away from the routine back home, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges.
4. NEW FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships.
5. MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
The Westfield Area Y is happy to offer new camp programs this summer such as: Advanced Skills Basketball, Cross Country Clinic, Ultimate Frisbee and Skill Sharpeners. To ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, financial assistance is available to those who qualify.
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for nearly 130 years. The Westfield Area Y Day Camp continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids’ character. For questions or information regarding sending your child to summer day camp at the Westfield Area Y, please email email@example.com or call Marty Collett at (908) 233-2700 x405.
The Y is the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Visit westfieldynj.org to learn more about Westfield Area Y programs.