TAP Into Another Town's News:

TAP Into Another Town's News:

Advertise On TAP »

Cease-Fire Unit Arrests Teen in October Shooting

By JOE MALINCONICO / PATERSONPRESS.COM

November 19, 2010 at 1:59 PM

PATERSON, NJ - Police arrested a 16-year-old Paterson boy on November 18 and charged him with attempted murder for allegedly shooting an Eastside High School student about a month earlier, on October 22, said Lt. Patrick Murray, head of Paterson's Cease-Fire Unit.

 
The youth, whose name authorities are withholding because he's a minor, was arrested at Rosa Parks Boulevard and Godwin Avenue at 1:30 pm after police received a tip he was in the area, said Murray. "Within days of the shooting, we issued a warrant for him and we've been attempting to locate him since,'' Murray said. The arresting officers were Sgt. Anthony Hyatt and detectives Ed Taylor and Carlos Charon, all of the Cease-Fire Unit.
 
The shooting occurred just after students were dismissed from Eastside, police said. There had been a fight among a group of teenagers when one of them pulled a gun and fired, police said. Authorities have not determined what caused the fight, Murray said. The victim, who was wounded in the back, remains hospitalized and is undergoing rehabilitation, police said. "He's got a long road ahead of him,'' said Murray.
 
The 16-year-old, who also was charged with possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes, is being held at the Essex County Juvenile Detention Center, awaiting a probable cause hearing. (Passaic County closed its juvenile center about a year ago because of budget cuts.)