Significant Recovery Strides Being Made in New Providence
Friday, November 9, 2012 • 4:58pm
We have made great strides yesterday and today in restoring power to almost our entire community. Power crews reattached main power supplies on South Street near Mountain Avenue late yesterday afternoon restoring power to over 300 homes in the Murray Hill section of our community. Today power crews have been working in the northeastern portion of town and we are anticipating power to be restored to that area within the next couple of hours. We still have small pockets of homes where poles are still down and we have been advised they will be addressed late today or tomorrow.
We have been assured that the crews that has been working in our community, will remain until all power has been restored.
We were advised by our Fire Chief, that due to the lengthy power outage, residents should replace all smoke detectors and CO detector batteries.
The message below was received from JCP&L regarding household service reconnects:
Tips for Customers Requesting Service Reconnections
Thousands of Jersey Central Power & Light customers sustained significant damage to their homes and businesses as a result of Hurricane Sandy. As repairs are completed, customers will need to have their service reconnected.
Here are some tips and information to make the reconnection process easier.
1. There are dedicated Service Crews handling reconnection work.
2. Residents should have a licensed electrician make repairs to their homes.
3. If the customer has a functioning electrical service entrance, including the meter – JCP&L will complete the service reconnection.
4. If the meter was removed due to severe damage or flooding – JCP&L will install a new meter after the service is repaired by a qualified electrician and inspected by a state inspector.
5. The inspector will provide certification that the work has been done properly, and will fax the cut-in card to 888-914-9140.
6. The inspector will attach a sticker with the inspection date on the meter pan.
7. Customers should have their home address or account number when calling the company to request reconnection.
8. Because of the volume of requests, it could take a few days for service to be reconnected.
To schedule a service reconnection, customers should call 1-800-662-3115.
We are hoping all of our residents will get power restored today or tomorrow. We recognize how difficult it has been for those families who have been without power for so long. We thank you all for you patience in this difficult time and commend you for your sense of community in helping each other get through the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy...
The opinions expressed herein are the writer's alone, and do not reflect the opinions of TAPinto.net or anyone who works for TAPinto.net. TAPinto.net is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the writer.