West Orange Police Investigation Determines Two Armed Robberies Were Falsely Reported
Thursday, September 26, 2013 • 4:19pm
WEST ORANGE, NJ - After an investigation by West Orange Police of two alleged armed robberies, including the surveillance video available in the areas that the robberies occurred, it was determined that both cases were falsely reported. The cases were closed after investigation and surveillance footage proved that the robberies had indeed never occurred.
" Based on our review of video footage that would have ostensibly captured these robbers, we have reason to believe that neither of these armed robberies actually happened,” West Orange Police Chief James P. Abbott said.
The two alleged robberies included a Sept. 21 report from a juvenile, who lied to police about being robbed at 637 Eagle Rock Ave.; and a September 22, report filed by an East Orange man, who stated he had been robbed at gunpoint at 226 Watchung Ave. He also refused to provide a statement to police and was uncooperative.
“It’s a shame that someone would actually lie about something as serious as an armed robbery,” Mayor Parisi said. “Not only do these fabricated stories take up valuable police resources, they create unnecessary panic within our community. The eight surveillance cameras in town have helped aid police in their investigations, but full credit must go to our detectives for their diligence and efficiency in solving these cases.”