Third Annual Choir Festival to Benefit Rescue Squads
Friday, May 16, 2014 • 2:00pm
FANWOOD, NJ -- On Sunday, May 18, 2014, the music ministry of Fanwood Presbyterian Church (corner of Martine Ave. & LaGrande Ave.) will present the third annual Fanwood Choir Festival. The event will feature a large chorus drawn from singers in Scotch Plains, Fanwood, and other communities. The day will culminate in a grand concert at 7:00 p.m. with guest conductors, choral repertoire, and a freewill offering to be donated to the rescue squads of Scotch Plains and Fanwood.
The rescue squads faithfully serve our community by providing essential emergency health assistance. They rely on donations from the public to maintain this service. The Fanwood Choir Festival is an opportunity for the SP/F community to gather at a celebratory event and provide monetary support for the rescue squads. Last year’s concert raised over $4,000.
The concert program will include well-loved patriotic music as well as inspiring classical, sacred, and multicultural choral works. Guest conductors will include:
- Dr. Cindy Bell, Hofstra University faculty and frequent conductor at the Ocean Grove Choir Festival;
- Dr. Benjamin Harding, Cairn University faculty and Director of Music at Evangelical Presbyterian Church in Newark, DE;
- Ms. Virginia Johnston, conductor of the Triad Vocal Ensemble and executive director of The Discovery Orchestra;
- Mr. Matthew Webb, Director of Music at The Presbyterian Church in Morristown; and
- Thomas Berdos, Director of Music Ministries at Fanwood Presbyterian Church.
Organist Deborah Berdos, clarinetist Amy M. Burns, and other musicians will also participate.