New Providence Ranked in Top 10 High Schools in New Jersey
Friday, August 15, 2014 • 9:31am
NEW PROVIDENCE, NJ - New Providence High School is ranked in the top 10 high schools in New Jersey according to New Jersey Monthly's 2014 survey of the state’s Top Public High Schools. New Providence is ranked No. 6.
"New Providence again achieves another top 10 rating among all high schools within the state of New Jersey," Councilman Jim Madden told TAP into New Providence. "Continued investment in our schools will not only maintain this high ranking and promote the value of our community but more importantly contribute to our children's development as the leaders of tomorrow."
New Jersey Monthly publishes its list of the best high schools in New Jersey every other year. The rankings are compiled by Leflein Associates, an independent research company in Ringwood, and are based on data for the 2012-2013 school year reported by the schools to the New Jersey Department of Education (DOE). Among the factors taken into consideration are student/teacher ratio; student results on the SAT, HSPA and AP or IB tests; and graduation rates.
In keeping with changes in data provided by the DOE, this year’s rankings include two new factors. The SAT performance score for each school is based on the percentage of students scoring 1,550 or better on the annual tests, a benchmark the DOE says is “associated with a high likelihood of college success.” Also, the Student Outcomes score includes “post-secondary enrollment,” a calculation of the percentage of students enrolled in a two- or four-year college at least 16 months after high school graduation.
NEW JERSEY’S TOP 20 PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOLS, 2014
- Chatham High School (Morris County)
- Haddonfield Memorial High School (Camden County)
- Northern Highlands Regional High School (Bergen County)
- West Morris Mendham High School (Morris County)
- Millburn High School (Morris County)
- New Providence High School (Union County) *
- Pascack Hills High School (Bergen County)
- Glen Rock High School (Bergen County)
- Marlboro High School (Monmouth County)
- Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School (Monmouth County)
- West Morris Central High School (Morris County)
- Holmdel High School (Monmouth County)
- Ridge High School (Somerset County)
- Moorestown High School (Burlington County)
- Bernards High School (Somerset County)
- Livingston High School (Essex County)
- Tenafly High School (Bergen County)
- Cresskill High School (Bergen County)
- Mountain Lakes High School (Morris County)
- Kinnelon High School (Morris County)
* New Providence High School ranked No. 1 in the previous chart, published in September 2012.