Icy Conditions Mean Loss of Power for Much of LP
Wednesday, February 5, 2014 • 11:16am
Today’s weather created a very icy and dangerous start to the morning for the residents of Lower Providence Township. While much of the area’s precipitation has turned over to rain with slightly warmer temperatures, the additional ice covering already wet snow made for quite a mess across the township.
Many in the area are reporting loss of power again. According to PECO Engery, of the 303,500 people in Montgomery County served by its power, 175,034 users are without power at this time.
Those without power are instructed to report the outages online via the PECO website here or to call 800-841-4141 to report the issue. The callers will also receive an approximate time to expect restored power.
PECO reports via its website that while many in the area are without power, its employees are working hard to restore power as soon as possible.
“More than 1,000 crews and hundreds supporting their efforts behind the scenes are working now and will continue to work around the clock to repair damage and restore service,” said the site. “The company has enhanced staffing in place in the PECO call center, dispatch centers and in the field to respond to customer needs.”
Though it may be tempting to scope out the situation on your own, the energy company reminds residents to stay away from any downed power lines.
“PECO urges customers to stay safe, and always stay away from downed power lines and damaged electrical equipment,” warned the site. “Always assume that downed electrical wires are energized – even if there is a power outage in your neighborhood. DO NOT TOUCH!”
If you see a downed line or experience problems with your power, the company asks that you call the hotline to report the issue.
While it may be getting chilly for some indoors without heat, the Montgomery County Department of Public Safety asks that users stay safe in seeking alternative methods of heating the home.
“If using an alternative heat source, such as kerosene, make sure there is proper ventilation,” said a safety post on the DPS Facebook page. “Don’t become a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning.”
If residents are using a gas-powered generator, they are also warned to stay safe.
“Only operate gasoline-powered generators outside and make sure the exhaust is not going into the house,” said the post. Said exhaust can also cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
As the rain sets in and temperatures rise, residents should be free from ice soon. The National Weather Service reports that the winter storm warning for Montgomery County will be lifted at 1 p.m. Wednesday.