Hazardous Materials Incident in Morris County
Thursday, August 14, 2014 • 11:55pm
MONTVILLE,NJ- Press Release:
· A delivery of diesel fuel was being transferred from the Finch Fuel Oil delivery truck of Kearny to the Montville Township fuel station’s underground storage tank.
· A spill (diesel fuel) occurred during the transfer operation.
· Montville Police and Fire Departments responded to the incident and placed a request for the Morris County Hazardous Material Team and Parsippany Hazardous Material Team to respond to the incident.
· On arrival of the Hazardous Material Teams, it was determined that the fuel spill had migrated from the vehicle fuel station via the properties storm water system to the Rockaway River due to the heavy rains that had just occurred at the time of the over fill.
· It was determined by the Morris County Hazardous Material Team that the spill was in excess of 400 gallons of diesel fuel.
· Members from both the Morris County Hazardous Material Team and the Parsippany Fire Department District 5 - Hazardous Material Team placed absorbent materials at the spill site and absorbent booms in the river at various locations, to contain the spreading oil. The absorbent booms contain and absorbs the oil.
· Hard booms were also utilized in two locations along the river; one at River Rd and Knolls Rd Bridge; and a second at Stiles and Vail Rd in Parsippany to act as collection points.
· Total distance of the spills impact to the river was approximately 2 miles.
· A private cleanup contractor was hired by Finch Fuel Oil Co and they started remediationTuesday night, the night of the spill.
· All absorbents are being bagged for proper disposal and Vacuum trucks are being used to collect diesel fuel floating on top of the water.
· The Morris County Hazardous Material Team remained on scene until midnight (Wednesday morning) and is continuing to monitor the recovery operation along with NJDEP-Bureau of Emergency Response Northern Region.
· We anticipate that recovery operations will continue for the next few days.