Early Dismissal Called For Randolph Schools Tuesday-Winter Storm Warning
Monday, January 20, 2014 • 10:57pm
RANDOLPH,NJ- The National Weather Service Issued a Winter Storm Warning for Morris County.
Significant snowfall expected Tuesday and Tuesday night followed immediately by bitterly cold air.
A fast moving but potent weather system will bring snow to our entire area Tuesday and Tuesday night. As the storm strengthens to our East later Tuesday, the winds will increase resulting in areas of blowing and drifting snow. As the storm continues to exit, bitterly cold air will quickly settle in Tuesday and Tuesday night.
Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 10 am Tuesday to 6 am EST Wednesday.
· Snow accumulations: 5 to 8 inches.
· Timing: snow will overspread the area toward late Tuesday morning and the midday hours, then continue through much of Tuesday night. The Heaviest snowfall is expected Tuesday Afternoon and Evening, with snowfall rates of around an inch per hour.
· Impacts: travel will become hazardous due to snow covered roads and periods of low visibility. Areas of blowing and drifting snow will develop especially later Tuesday afternoon and Tuesday night as winds increase, resulting in significantly reduced visibilities at times. The Tuesday afternoon and evening rush hour will be significantly impacted.
· Winds: northeast 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph Tuesday afternoon, becoming north and northwest Tuesday night.
· Temperatures: mainly in the 20’s Tuesday, then falling through the teens and single digits Tuesday night.
· Wind chills, mainly around 10 degrees Tuesday, then dropping to around 10 below zero Tuesday night. These values can quickly cause Frostbite to exposed skin and lead to hypothermia.
Randolph Township determined that the schools will operate on an early dismissal schedule.
· Randolph High School – 12:06 p.m.
· Randolph Middle School – 12:35 p.m.
· Shongum and Fernbrook – 1:08 p.m.
· Center Grove and Ironia – 1:38 p.m.
· AM kindergarten students will stay at school, be dismissed with students in grades 1-5, and ride the bus home with the older students.
· PM kindergarten is cancelled.
· AM preschool will be dismissed at the regular time but PM sessions will be cancelled.
· All Randolph Community School programs including After School Kids (ASK) and afternoon KinderKids programs, ski clubs and SAT Review Courses will be cancelled.