Atlantic Health System Apps Help Users Optimize Health, Connect to Services
Thursday, May 8, 2014 • 12:52pm
SUMMIT, NJ - Atlantic Health System, one of the largest not-for-profit health care organizations in New Jersey, has launched its first version of four smartphone and tablet apps, designed to allow users better ways to track and maintain their health, as well as quickly access hospital information and resources.
There is a separate Be Well app for each of the Atlantic Health System hospitals: Overlook, Morristown, and Newton Medical Centers and Goryeb Children’s Hospital. The apps can be downloaded from the App Store for Apple users, and the Google Play store for Android users, by searching “Be Well.” A Chilton Medical Center app is in development and will launch this summer.
“In the near future, personal devices such as smart phones and tablets will have a greater role in how people access the health care resources they need, as well as manage their health,” said Linda Reed, RN, Vice President, Behavioral and Integrative Medicine and Chief Information Officer, Atlantic Health System. “The Be Well apps give our communities more access to our hospitals, no matter where they are, and give them the tools to help them be among the healthiest in the nation.”
Studies have shown mobile technology’s growing role in the management of health. According to the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project, released in 2013, more than a third of U.S. adults have gone online to figure out a medical condition, and of these, half followed up with a visit to a medical professional. The Pew study also found that one in five smartphone owners has a health app, and industry reports predict that 500 million people will be using health care-related apps by next year.
The app includes numerous features that allow users to access resources and information, including:
- Atlantic Health System’s “Find a Doctor” tool
- The hospital system’s extensive health encyclopedia, which includes medically-reviewed content from Truven Health Analytics and ADAM
- The Locations tool which allows users to find directions to the hospital specific to the app. Before arriving, users can also check emergency department wait times through the app
- Track Your Health, the most interactive feature of the apps, which allows users to track their weight, blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol, mood and headaches, and document their medications. The feature also allows pregnant users to document their progress. Through graphing and other features, users can create a better picture of their own health and set goals to become healthier
- The apps stream updates from Atlantic Health System’s social media channels, including each hospital’s Facebook, the Well Aware – Your Way blog, and the Atlantic Health System news feeds, allowing users to keep up with the latest news about the health system
The apps will be continuously enhanced with more features and functions, increasing the connectivity between users, their health care providers and Atlantic Health System’s services.
The apps can also be downloaded at http://gethealthy.at/atlantichealth/.